Thursday, August 12, 2010

Shopping...Finally!





Today I was able to venture out and do some grocery shopping to stock up the cupboards. One thing that I always find interesting when visiting another country is the price difference for certain staple items.

Just a sampling for those interested:
Rice 5Kg bag-$14.50
Banana chips-.85
Vinegar-$3
Canned Peaches-$4
Soy Sauce-$3
Canned Mushrooms-$5 (if you know Emma, you know that she LOVES mushrooms. she was thrilled to see them on the shelf)
Pasta-$1.20
Ketchup-$1 (not sure why I bothered bringing ketchup p
ackets.)
Tomatoes (a bag of about a dozen roma tomatoes)-$0.68!!
Ground Hamburger is about $2/pound
Shaved Ham is about $3.50/pound
4 Garlic Cloves-$1.40

I was also able to go to a
Craft
Store...not
like Michael's...it is a store wit
h crafts already made. There were so many beautiful things. It will be a favorite stop whenever
I make it to the grocery store since it is right next door. I was looking for bread loaf pans and baking sheets at the market so when I spot stone crocks and plates I was thrilled! I bought the dishes for 3000 Rwandan Francs (about $5US) and the Crocks that I can use for bread or casseroles/lasagnas for $8.50 each! I also found
these beautiful baskets perfect for our toiletries and dvds. Emma picked out 2 little animals so that her dolls could have pets at the doll house.

Another fun find was this wall hanging. They are made from banana leafs. We have seen them at the school and I was
hoping to find one. It was only $5. I made a fun collage of family photos. And, the other day I bought this fantastic chair for Emma on the side of the road. $6!! She loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment