Sunday, August 29, 2010

Rwanda Adoption News

I found myself very emotional at church this morning. I was surrounded by beautiful Rwandan children looking at me with their huge brown eyes. All I could think about was our son. I wondered if he is born yet. Who his mother is and where does she live? Have I walked by her at the market?

I think that it hit me more today than other days because it was recently announced that Rwanda is no longer accepting dossiers as of Tuesday. They have signed the Hague Agreement which long term is great news for children. It will protect them against harm and eliminate corruption from the system. The sad and upsetting news is for those families who are currently in the process of preparing their dossiers. For us, we have put things a bit on hold until we get settled in to our life here in Rwanda so it isn't as devastating to us as it is for many families. We have heard that there are about 150 dossiers waiting at the Ministry office to be processed. In my mind, having been through a Chinese adoption where there are tens of thousands of dossiers waiting to be processed, that doesn't seem like a lot. But, I can also completely understand how they feel. It doesn't matter if there are 30,000 or 3 dossiers in front of yours. You just want your child home in your arms.

So, we will just have to wait and see what happens. We have no idea how long the process of accreditation will take. We just have to trust God. Again...the biggest lesson we learned while waiting for our sweet Emma was...God's timing is Perfect timing.


No comments:

Post a Comment