Sunday, August 15, 2010

Islands In The Stream

This afternoon I was resting on the couch while Matt worked on school things and Emma took a nap. I woke up to what sounded like a parade coming down our street. We went outside to check it out and was told by our neighbor, a lovely Rwandan woman, that it was a betrothal ceremony. Basically, the young man was coming to ask for the woman's hand in marriage. He would make a speech and then negotiate the bride price with her father. Typically, cows are given. It was such a beautiful affair. I ran down the street a snuck (as much as a white person can sneak anything in Rwanda) a few shots. The wedding photographer in me couldn't resist. I tried not to take anything too invasive. People are very sensitive about having their picture taken by strangers here so I didn't want to be rude. I could hear people saying, "mzungu" which means white person so I just grabbed a couple of shots and took off.

This was a few hours ago. I can still hear them celebrating down the street. In fact, they were just blaring, "Islands in the Stream." I just had to sing along!

"Islands in the stream that is what we are.
No one in between. How can we be wrong.
Sail away with me to another world.
And we'll rely on each other ah ah."








1 comment: