Saturday, August 21, 2010

Emmanuel

Probably the biggest adjustment and the thing that has put me most out of my comfort zone here has been having a worker. I am a very "do-it yourself" kind of person. It is the norm here to have workers. Most "upper class" families have inside workers who help with cooking, laundry, cleaning, etc. As well as a guard and/or outdoor worker who would be sort of like a grounds keeper there to keep the yard looking nice, etc. This is so weird to me. We decided to have someone 2 days a week to help with the yard, go the market for me and just sorta be a presence while I'm at work. He works another 4 days a week for our friends down the street. His name is Emmanuel. He is a really nice young man and super sweet with Emma. I discovered yesterday that he has a 4 year old son and a wife. He has done an amazing job cleaning up the yard. Our house hasn't been lived in for awhile so the yard needed a lot of work. Please pray that we are able to build a relationship with him and share Christ.

We have been told by many families that if I try to go to the market and buy produce I will be charged Mzungu prices. But, if we send our worker, he will be charged local prices and so we will pay much less. Yesterday, I made a list and Emmanuel road a moto to the market for me.

Here is what he got for 14,000 Rwandan Francs. That is about $24 US.

2kg of potatoes (4.4 lbs)
1 pineapple
2 bunches of bananas
1 kg of mangoes (3)
5 apples
2 green peppers
1 kg of sweet potatoes (2.2 lbs)
4 avocados
1 cabbage
2 kg of flour (4.4 lbs)
1 kg of sugar (including rocks!) (2.2 lbs)
2 cucumbers
4 cans of tomato paste
12 eggs
and round trip moto ride

Yes, this IS the biggest avocado you have ever seen! I cut into it thinking it was a mango! That is a mango above it. Unreal!

1 comment:

  1. I never knew you blogged, Jeana! I'm adding you to my blog page! Can't wait to read your insights and experiences.

    ~Marcie

    ReplyDelete