Thursday, June 17, 2010

My "Gorillas in the Mist" Moment

I have seen gorillas several times during all my visits to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park. It is one of my favorite things to do each visit. They are just so fascinating and hilarious to watch. They really do act like humans.

Yesterday I had a amazing moment with one of the gorillas at the zoo. He was lying on his back right up by the glass playing with his feet. He looked like a giant baby rolling on a blanket in the middle of some one's living room. It was awesome to see his feet and hands so closely. The best and most amazing moment though was when he turned and looked directly into my eyes. There was this indescribable connection. His black eyes were so deep. I just could not stop looking into them. I wanted to know what was going through his mind. I thought...this must be what Dian Fossey felt like living amongst these amazing creatures in the jungles of Rwanda. I understood how she could fall in love with them and be completely captivated by them.

I never stop being amazed by God's creation. Such small differences really exist between man and gorilla but the ones that do exist are incredible. God chose to give us a soul. A soul that would live forever.










1 comment:

  1. wonderfully written honey! I cannot wait to go to Rwanda with you and bring home our son and help him see the wonders of God's creation as we are doing with Emma!

    ReplyDelete