Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Happy Forever Family Day Emma Rain!!

Two years ago today, we landed in Nanchang, Jiangxi, China. We had spent 4 fantastic days in Beijing and couldn't believe that this day was finally here. We found our Holt guide, Lisa, and quickly made our way to the hotel. Lisa told us that we had about an hour before we would leave for the Civil Affairs Office to get Emma. We walked into our room to find an empty crib waiting by the window, a stroller tucked in the corner of the closet, and a baby tub in the bathroom. It was really happening! All the things I had read and heard from other families were finally happening to us. It was just like I had pictured in my mind.

We wrapped the gifts that we brought for Emma's foster parents, the orphanage nannies and the director. Lisa helped us write cards to them thanking them for taking care of our precious daughter. How do you even put that into words on a postcard? Then...we grabbed the camera and headed down to the car. When we arrived at the Civil Affairs Office we took the elevator to the 16th floor. It was such a hot and humid day and there was no air conditioning. We stopped and took a quick picture in front of the sign. I expected that we would have time to get settled in the room before Emma was brought in because this is what usually happens. So, when I walked around the corner and saw her standing there with her nanny, I almost couldn't breathe. It had been 2 years since we filled out our first piece of paperwork. You would think that I would have been ready for that moment. I guess you never are truly ready for that moment whether you are picking up your child in a hot room in China or giving birth in a hospital. I just wanted to run and hold her but they wouldn't let us near her until they checked our passports. I thought...Are you kidding me? You can't tell that it is me after all the pictures I had to send you?! Give me my baby!!

Finally, we were allowed to go near her. I walked up and knelt down beside her. She had such sadness and confusion in her eyes. She was covered with little red spots and sweating like crazy. I picked her up and her big beautiful lower lip shot out and began to quiver. The poor dear had been tossed around so many times in her short life. She was with her birthmother, the orphanage, a foster family for a year, then back to the orphanage for 4 months and then handed to these strange looking white people who sound and look and smell so different. My heart just broke for her. We were able to spend a little time chatting with her nanny and the orphanage director. She gave me additional pictures that I saw in Emma's file. She answered our questions about sleeping, eating, etc. She said that Emma enjoys joyful music. This is still true. I asked her why she chose the name Cai Juan for her. The director said that in China the name Juan, pronounced Jin, is a "pretty girly girl" name. Emma was such a pretty baby that she gave her that name. I agree...she is the prettiest baby that I have ever seen! When we finished, the four us went into the elevator. that was the moment that Emma realized that her assumptions were correct. She pulled her head back and let out the saddest sound that I have ever heard. It wasn't even really a cry just a shout of pain and sadness. It was like she was shouting...no not again. We got into the car and Matt held her close. She fell asleep in his arms. It was lovely.

For the next 3 hours she cried and slept and ate. We filled out more paperwork, fingerprints, footprints, etc. Finally, it was time for bed. The nanny told us that she likes to be tickled before going to sleep. So, Matt laid her down and started tickling. He finally found the right spot and she burst into laughter and smiles! It was the sweetest sound I had ever heard. We both burst into tears. It was finally a moment of relief. She was going to be okay. Everything was going to be okay.

It absolutely amazes me how this little person having been through so much can be so happy. Her resilience and strength motivate me to be a better mom. She understands that she was in China and that we came to get her. In fact, when we are in a Chinese restaurant she always greets the waitress with a Ni Hao and asks them if they are from China, too. Usually they are and they enjoy chatting with her. Whenever she sees a picture of the Great Wall she says, "You and Daddy went to the Great Wall to get me." It's pretty cute.


2 comments:

  1. Even though I have heard many parts of that story, it is still so touching. What an awesome God we serve who can bring familes together in such a special way!! Love you all!!

    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete